Whether you're an established baker or trying your hand at baking for the very first time, you're sure to be inspired by this cute Funfetti Unicorn Cake by Rosanna Pansino. She brings two of our most favourite things in the world together, cake and unicorns- for the cutest cake ever imaginable!
Rosanna hosts the most popular baking show on the Internet 'Nerdy Nummies' which showcases all of her favourite geeky recipes for you to try yourself! Her website has loads of fab and fun ideas with easy to follow instructions making even a novice baker feel comfortable.
We are absolutely in love with her Funfetti Unicorn Cake which is guaranteed to be the centre piece on your party table and a real talking point! Why not give it a try........
Rosanna Pansino's Funfetti Unicorn Cake Recipe
Things you’ll need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoons almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- White buttercream frosting
- Light pink buttercream frosting in decorating bags fitted with #824 and #4B tips
- Light blue buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #2A tip
- Light purple buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #824 tip
- Dark purple buttercream frosting in decorating bags fitted with #2A and #4B tips
- Black buttercream frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a #4 tip
- White fondant
- Edible gold dust
- Small paint brushes
- Fondant rolling pin
- Teardrop cookie cutters
- Lollipop stick
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line three six-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Fold sprinkles into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once cakes are fully cooled, level them with a cake leveler.
- Stack cakes on a cake board, making sure to frost between each layer.
- Use a cake turntable to smooth white frosting over the entire cake
Time to decorate!
- Use white fondant to make a unicorn horn
- Mix a few drops of almond extract into edible gold dust
- and then brush it onto the horn.
- Use teardrop cutters to create fondant ears and then paint the inner ear gold. Insert a toothpick into the bottom of each ear.
- Pipe rosettes on the top and along one side of the cake using the pink and light purple frostings each fitted with a #824 tip.
- Add dollops of details using the pink and dark purple frostings each fitted with a #4B tip and the blue and dark purple frosting each fitted with a #2A tip.
- Pipe eyes onto the front center of the cake. Place horn on the top center of the cake and the ears on either side of the horn.
- Ta-da! This colorful Unicorn Cake will bring magic to any occasion!
Easy peasy right? Even if it takes a few attempts no one will have any problems eating lots of cake whilst you practice! Yum Yum!
While you're on a roll, now might the time to start thinking about finding the perfect unicorn party invitations, decorations and all of the other bits and pieces that will help to make your special occasion a remember-able one too! We've put together a magical collection of Unicorn Party Decorations for you enjoy browsing take a look in our shop!